A mild drama ensued in Abuja as members the group of good governance protesters, OurMumuDonDo, led by maverick musician, Charles Oputa, popularly known as Charly Boy, led a protest to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, yesterday, to demand a well-coordinated government action to ameliorate the plight of Nigerians allegedly sold as slaves in Libya.
The protesters bound themselves in chains, handcuffs and sealed mouths to drive home their points theatrically. Last week, Charly Boy led a protest to the Libyan Embassy to register the group’s displeasure over the alleged inhuman treatment of Nigerians by the Libyan authorities in the North African country. Raphael Adebayo, spokesman of the protesting group, urged the Federal Government to take urgent steps to ensure that the sale of Nigerians as slaves in Libya is brought to an end. He said: “Our message to the Federal Government today is very simple and clear: issuing press statement is not enough to give respite to the Nigerians who are suffering in Libya. “Concocting and fabricating phone numbers is not enough to give respite to the Nigerians suffering in Libya. “What we are demanding is that decisive and genuine actions are taken to repatriate Nigerians who are in Libya and give them a reason to want to be Nigerians. We hope that they are going to act on these demands of ours.” Top Federal Government officials in the Ministry, including the Nigerian Charge D’Affaire to Libya, Ambassador Iliya Danladi Fachano, while receiving the protesters, said the government is already repatriating Nigerians who are detained in Libya. Speaking on behalf of the government officials, Ambassador Fachano said: “By rule, as civil servants, we do not speak on what we do. But let me tell you what the Nigerian embassy has been doing in Tripoli. “So far, we have registered over 3,000 Nigerians in Libya and repatriated about 2,000. On Tuesday, December 5, we are expecting a batch of 250 returnees by 7p.m. in Lagos.